HOW DO I WASH THE CLOTH DIAPERS FOR THE FIRST TIME AND WHAT DETERGENT DO YOU RECOMMEND?
The reusable cloth diapers should be washed before use for the first time. We recommend you wash the inserts/Sewn in inserts 4-6 times to let the fabric pores open and obtain maximum absorbency.
- Clean your washer of all residues from other detergents. This can be accomplished by washing a load of rags or daily-use towels with detergent that does not leave residues.
- Wash your diapers with a detergent that does not leave residue in warm water. Repeat that at least 4 times to fully remove old detergent residue.
THE DAILY ROUTINE:
- Clean your washer:
If you are using another detergent for your regular clothes, that residue will contaminate the diapers. You will have to always clean the washer. Otherwise, the wash cycle will clean the drum and not your laundry. Those residues could be deposited on the diapers temporarily degrading their performance.
- Wash the diapers:
- Dispose solids in the toilet using a diaper sprayer or dishwashing type brush.
- Remove the washable inserts and store both diapers and inserts in either a dry laundry bag or a pail of water until ready for washing. Dosage of detergent may vary depending on washing machine and water condition in the region. Start with the recommended dosage of your detergent brand but tailoring to your washing condition may be needed. To keep your products more long-lasting, do not overdose detergent during laundry.
- Wash with warm water to a maximum of 40 ℃ with a soft detergent, lots of water and plenty of agitation.
- Add disinfectant only during the rinse: 4 tbsp. of vinegar should suffice. Sunning also works to disinfect your diapers.
- Rewash on cold with at least the full dose of eco-friendly detergent to ensure a deep clean.
- Hang to dry or tumble dry on low
- If any stains occur, use a little lemon juice and sun bleach the diaper.
WHAT SHOULD I AVOID WHILE TAKING CARE OF MY CLOTH DIAPER?
- Do not use fabric softener or bleach.
- Do not boil your diapers or put boiling water on the diaper
- Do not let your diapers sit for a few days
- Do not use bleach as it damages the waterproof membrane and melts the elastic
I WORRY THAT THE DIAPER SMELLS, WHAT SHOULD I DO ABOUT IT?
If you want to avoid the smell the best result is to rinse off your diapers and store them in a water pail. Wash your rinsed diaper with any load of laundry going in. The faster you wash them the better.
You could do a wash with white vinegar or baking soda. Pour 1 cup of vinegar into the water pail and pre-soak the diapers or just pour it straight into the washing machine's softener's compartment before starting the wash. Alternatively, you can also add a couple tablespoons of baking soda to the softener's compartment.
- Do not wash your diaper with hot water in general as it also reduces the life of your diaper elastic and voids warranty.
DO I NEED TO WASH THE DIAPERS BEFORE FIRST-TIME USE?
Yes. We recommend you wash the inserts 4-6 times to let the fabric pores open and obtain maximum absorbency.